Thursday, March 26, 2015

Thrift Stores, Jerks & Audiobooks

Hi, my name is KC and I'm addicted to thrifting. It has been zero days since my last thrift trip.


So yesterday, the weather was cold and snowy (Welcome to springtime in the Rockies! Where Mother Nature needs to be medicated!) so my mom and I took my nephew thrifting. The kid loves garage sales, flea markets and thrift stores as much as we do. He's a bit weird. We weren't looking for anything in particular, just trying to keep him from dying of boredom halfway through Spring Break.

So we hit the arc (a CO only thrift store) and a new Goodwill that only opened in December. We passed on a couple items yesterday at the Goodwill and went back this morning (They were already gone. Note to self: If it's really amazing, don't hesitate!). 

First, I have to say that if someone knew how to do it well, they could really make a bunch of money flipping furniture. There was a lot of furniture that just needed a little TLC and they'd be in perfect or near-perfect condition.

Second, thrift stores are really inconsistent with their pricing. Geez do they need to figure out a system. A really nice sleeper couch was $79.99 but the most hideous, broken-down, POS couch I've ever seen was $139. REALLY??? Consistency people. It would get you more sales.

And while we're on the topic of thrift stores, this morning when my nephew and I went back to Goodwill and while we were at the register buying four really nice cabinets that we're going to use for craft supplies, possibly even the base of a cutting table, this woman threw a temper tantrum. We have no idea what set her off, but she was horrid to the employees and manager trying to help her. She was flipping out and tossing around the F word like crazy (I'm no stranger to the word myself, I use it way more frequently than I should, but even I control myself in a public setting like that). 

She even had the poor guy that was ringing us out flustered, even though he wasn't dealing with her. The guy just kept apologizing and apologizing and turned so red. They didn't deserve the abuse she was giving them. At all. Everyone at that Goodwill is really nice. They even offered us drinks when we drove around the back to pick up our cabinets! She was just a stupid hag. 

To change the subject abruptly, I've decided to try listening to audiobooks while I'm walking. I've never really been an auditory person unless it was music and tend to tune out speaking voices so I have absolutely no idea if this will work out for me at all. It took several attempts and the guidance of my nephew to finally get an audiobook from the library on my new phone (I finally got a smartphone, my dad bought me a Samsng Exhibit for my birthday when we changed our cell carrier). 

Nora Roberts is apparently anti-Android. Or maybe it's her publisher but none of her audiobooks were playable on an Android. I finally ended up getting Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. I tried to read it on the Kindle a few weeks ago but couldn't get into it so I put it back on my TBR list to attempt at another time. I thought maybe having it read to me might work. So we'll see. 

Till next time,

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

We Need To Talk

I haven't been completely honest with you guys.

Not that I've blatantly lied to you. But I have blatantly omitted information.

I am mostly unemployed and have been for the last size and a half years. I say mostly because I've sporadically worked a free-lance transcriptionist over the last few years. Not the most prolific transcriptionist either so the road to riches is not through transcription. And before you ask if I've tried finding a job, yes. I've applied to a lot of different places, repeatedly. There's just nothing to really make me stand out from the pack I guess.

The reason I'm telling you this is to help explain the changes that are coming to the blog.

I've debated it a lot and flip-flopped back and forth so many times but I have decided to do two things that function hand-in-hand to getting a more steady income. I'm going to sell my handmade goods on Etsy, and I'm going to have a monetized blog that supports/promotes my Etsy shop. My selling focus will be wearable accessories and home decor accessories. The blog will be fashion/beauty/home decor. 

I'm still several months from selling stuff. I want to make sure that I do it properly. My biggest obstacle is figuring out if and when I have to charge sales tax (why does it have to be so f***ing complicated? Let me just bash my head with a sledgehammer till it makes sense). The blog is going to go live at the beginning of April and I'm hoping to monetize in six months-ish. I want to find my groove and build a solid readership before I take that step. 

At the same time, I'm starting new with that blog, I'm starting over with this one. I've deleted the previous posts. Again. And since I'm going to work up to posting three times a week on that blog (M-W-F), I'm going to work on posting twice a week here (T-T). This blog is going to be my personal blog. More varied and random. A little less polished I guess.

I hope you guys stick with me while I make this transition and figure things out. But if not, that's cool, no hard feelings. If you want to check out the blog, it's Some Accessories Required

Till next time,

P.S. I would like for you to scroll up and look at the chick to the right side of your screen ----> 
I love his derp face. Very Eastery :)